Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Love Lights"

About three weeks ago, I attended a seminar for my Montessori training with a special guest speaker, who happens to be the Montessori Living Legend this year.  Sonnie McFarland, spoke to us about the importance of teaching peace in the classroom.

As she lectured about the different lessons to give and how to incorporate the idea of peace, love and understanding into the classroom, I was reminded of the first few days I started college, when I decided to be a Child Development major. From about age eight, I wanted to be a teacher.  Not until about high school did I realize my true goal for each child in my classroom.  I had the idealistic idea that every child who graduated from my classroom would value peace, respect and genuinely care for others.  I now know that every child will not leave my classroom with these values, but Sonnie McFarladnd gave me hope again. She gave us the tools, through lessons and activities, to enhance each child's view of their peers and themselves.

A key activity was introducing the "Love Light," and I gave the lesson to my children two weeks ago. The steps are on a website, where you can buy her book Honoring the Light of the Child, visit the lesson here Love Light Activity.

I began the lesson, by tying in the concepts discussed the previous week in reference to MLK Jr. Day, showing the children different people cutouts with 5 different skin colors.  The children brainstormed what the paper dolls had that they also had (head, hands, legs, arms, body etc.) After they all agreed there were similarities, we discussed differences, looking around the room as well.  Naming their hair, eyes, skin, height, weight, age and clothing as differences.  I then brought out this...

a paper cutout on a blue paper. We discussed what happens when someone gives you a compliment, you finish a challenging work, you help a young child with a project, you help clean the classroom, or your grandma or grandpa surprises you at school.  I asked them to close their eyes so I could show them what happened when my paper friend experienced these things and when I asked them to open, this is what they saw...

my friend's heart lit-up (aided by a small flashlight and a hole cut out of the blue paper).  Pretty sweet right?? The children were pretty captivated by the trick, others, of course shouted out "it's a flashlight!" but they understood the concept. We also discussed things that make them unhappy, and I showed them what happens to their love light then (moving the flashlight closer to create a smaller, yet still visible, light.  I then followed the lesson as written out on the website, having them close their eyes again, placing a love light on me, and passing out their own.  We then went around the circle and children gave others compliments and we watched the receivers response.  The children enjoyed seeing each other light up and smile.
*Just to note- we did not use safety pins and felt, instead I made (with the help of my wonderful husband) 34 (for children and teachers) yellow felt circle necklaces with yellow yarn.

The whole process was magical, many kept their necklaces on the rest of the morning, and put them on, without reminder the next day.  The visual symbol that everyone has a love light, and the concept that it is each child's job to make sure their peer's light shines bright, enforces the beautiful idea of kindness, respect and love.  While giving this lesson at circle, I was reminded why I love what I do, and that I can make a difference in the world while guiding these little beautiful souls.

I urge you to try the love light activity, and don't hesitate to ask for help or share your version.
Also, why did you become a teacher? Love for children of course, but deep down, why do we chose so little money for so much effort? Here's to hoping your love light is shinning bright today!